This summer, as I mentioned, the boys and I spent four glorious days exploring Copenhagen. And while we ate our weight in pastries and swam in the harbor, I couldn’t stop soaking up all the beautiful street style. Pinstripes! Trench coats! Fisherman sweaters practically begging for a hair tuck!
So, I thought it would be fun to share six of my favorite styles, featuring pieces from Madewell’s new collection. (Luckily, they’re having a big sale right now, too.) Here goes…
1. A blue pinstripe shirt. Walking around the city, we spotted women and men wearing vertical blue pinstripes — on shirts, tees, shorts, you name it. Since the fit was oversized, the pieces didn’t read as workwear, but instead seemed perfect for everyday adventures. This cotton shirt has drop shoulders and relaxed feel, and I love the playful stripes on this top. (If you’d like to switch up the colors, Madewell has toffee, green and pink stripes, too.)
2. A drape-y trench. On brisk mornings, cafés were packed with cardamom buns and women in trenches, and I could see why — trenches instantly make any outfit feel timeless. For an elegant look, this double-breasted trench fits the bill (bonus: it’s water repellent). I’m also into this denim trench with its nod to the ’70s. Pro tip: People didn’t seem to be cinching their belts, opting instead for more laid-back vibes.
3. Cream sweaters. The weather was crisp in Denmark, and the cream knits around town made me excited for fall. This bomber would look great with jeans, and a V-neck cardigan feels just right for dinner with friends. While hanging out at home, I’d reach for a lightweight pullover, which also comes in a cream stipe. Also, this sweater dress!
4. Loafers. Chunky loafers, it turns out, pair well with short white socks. The combination feels cool and unisex, with just a touch of Elaine Benes. I like these lug soles, which would look good with jeans, and this penny loafer has Cloudlift Lite padding for long podcast walks this fall.
5. Baggy jeans. Slouchy pants were everywhere in Copenhagen, and I especially loved all the wide-leg jeans. This pair has a high waist and pleats (be still my heart!), and I also noticed sooooo much light denim. This particular pair would be cute to pull on year round with shirts and sweaters.
6. Midi dresses. Finally, when the boys and I walked to get ice cream on our last evening, we passed couples eating dinner in restaurants with their chairs facing toward the street (all the better for people-watching!). I was inspired by the long casual dresses. This polka-dot number feels almost cinematic (wouldn’t it be cute with a red lip for winter dinners?), and I love gauze dresses because they never wrinkle and are perfect for travel.
Good news: Madewell is offering 25% off sitewide to Madewell Insiders and a whopping 30% off purchase for Stars & Icons (!) until September 27th. You can sign up for Madewell’s free Insider program here to get perks, like free shipping, free stamping and embroidering, and exclusive discounts.
(Top photo by Stocksy. This post is sponsored by Madewell, a brand we’ve worn and loved for many years. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Cup of Jo.)